Book Review: "Fool's Assassin" by Robin Hobb


(Fitz & The Fool #1)
My Rating:  5/5

Plot Tease
FitzChivalry—royal bastard and former king’s assassin—has left his life of intrigue behind. As far as the rest of the world knows, FitzChivalry Farseer is dead and buried. Masquerading as Tom Badgerlock, Fitz is now married to his childhood sweetheart, Molly, and leading the quiet life of a country squire.

Though Fitz is haunted by the disappearance of the Fool, who did so much to shape Fitz into the man he has become, such private hurts are put aside. At least, until the appearance of menacing, pale-skinned strangers casts a sinister shadow over Fitz’s past . . . and his future. 

Book Review
So I sat down to write this review, and all I could think was: "Oh my dear Sa I can't even Robin Hobb," along with "What are you doing to me and my heart"

When I heard that Robin Hobb would pick up Fitz's story once more after 11 years of silence, I have to admit I was floored. In so many ways. There was excitement, of course, and a sheer feeling of incredulity that the story of Fitz and Fool wasn't over. Along with that, though, was fear. Fear that all of my hopes and dreams would be crushed when this long-awaited next installment was published, and that I would have to watch in horror as my favorite characters suffered heartache and pain.

Well anyone who know Fitz knows that we can't escape any of these books without a little heartache - but oh boy was I in for a wild, unexpected ride when I finally got my hands on Fool's Assassin.

As was expected, Hobb's return to Fitz was beautiful and heavy and new. Her prose is unique, and Fitz's voice rings incredibly clear as he picks up his life after a decade or so since Fool's Fate. This Fitz is a bit older - a bit wiser - and feels more settled into who he is as a person than the Fitz of previous books. Instead of the young assassin, we have an experienced man trying to learn how to be a good father and protect his mixed family. 

We begin at Withywoods, Chivalry's old estate, where during a night of revelry an unknown visitor is murdered in Fitz's study. The intrigue and mystery that ensue are well balanced and full of possibilities. Without spoiling it for you, I have to say that we see more of races that have only vaguely been filled out before, as well as more of the web that is the Realm of the Elderlings. Hobb's universe is full of incredibly interesting characters, and Fool's Assassin doesn't disappoint.

Much of the text was spent in daily life, but it was so well written and so much like going home that I would read it all again. There are so many curve balls thrown over the course of nearly 700 pages. 

And then those last hundred. Get ready, you folk. You don't know what's going to hit you. 



What Do You Think?
Do you have your hands on this book yet? Will you?
What are you looking forward to most in this next installment?
Will Fitz ever truly have a settled-down life?
"Beloved. I called him Beloved." - Fitzchivalry Farseer
Cost: New $21.00 (Available on Kindle and Nook.)

No comments:

Post a Comment