Book Review: "Exile" by R. A. Salvatore


(Legend of Drizzt #2)
My Rating: 

Plot Tease
Hostile in ways that a surface-dweller could never know, the tunnel-mazes of the Underdark challenge all who tread there. Among these is Drizzt Do'Urden and his magical cat, Guenhwyvar. Exiled from his drow homeland, Drizzt must fight for a new home in the boundless labyrinth. Meanwhile, he must watch for signs of pursuit - for the dark elves are not a forgiving race.

Book Review
Exile is a great continuation of the Drizzt saga. But I admit that it barely made the four star mark for me.

I still love Drizzt. To recap a little bit, he's a Drow (dark elf) that left his evil race in Menzoberranzan at the end of the last book. His personality seeks naturally towards good, and so is plain incompatible with the live he would have had to live with the Drow. We cheered when Drizzt left (even as we were mourning Zak), but then he got to the heart of the Underdark.

And something really annoying happened:

He acquired a sort of alter ego. The Hunter.

If it weren't for this aspect, I would have loved the book a lot more. Every time Drizzt went all rage and lost control and became The Hunter I just wanted to roll my eyes. It felt so corny initially. And then it just got annoying. Yes, Drizzt can be a little on the angry side when faced with the right stimuli. But this? It didn't feel like the same dark elf that I knew, and it didn't seem like a smooth progression. I think I literally started to groan every time it happened towards the middle of the book. I wanted to skim pages. (So don't feel bad if you do.)

But don't give up! I swear this only lasts for a (relatively) small time.

The last half of the book visits The Hunter a lot less, and so I had more time to enjoy it uninterrupted by annoyances. Having reviewed that awful character development, I have something more exciting to tell you. I love Guenhwyvar and Belwar.They were great, prominent characters in this book that have really stayed with me.

Guen, being a panther, doesn't really say much. But her loyalty and willingness to risk herself for Drizzt is endearing. The cat is the only one, at the end of the day, that has been through everything with Drizzt. There are even moments when she rightfully protects him from himself, to both Drizzt and the audience's thanks. She seems expressive somehow. If you've ever had a pet cat I'm sure you know what I mean.

Belwar on the other hand risked his reputation and (possibly) well-being to give Drizzt another chance. When Drizzt is sent out, he is the only one willing to go with him. The two are almost like brothers, while Belwar can sometimes seem to be like an uncle as well. Because Drizzt once had a hand in saving his life, the little gnome is adamant that he will pay the drow back. It's honorable and fully encapsulates everything that Belwar is. 

Ultimately, Exile is probably my least favorite book in the Drizzt saga - but it's a necessary one that leads to lots of adventurous fantasy in the future. It's worth the read (Also because Zak makes a dramatic appearance and you've got to read that interaction).


What Do You Think?
What's your favorite animal companion from a book?
Name a time when you were sincerely annoyed with the author of a book. Why? What book?

Cost: New $7.19/Used $0.91 (Available on Kindle and Nook.)
Buy "Exile" on Amazon.
(This book review is not sponsored in any way. All opinions are my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment